I will be working for them this summer.
I can't even believe it. I love my life! Every day I feel like I must be at the peak of the best part of my life, and then the next day something wonderful comes up and I realize that it actually could get even better. Is this just what life is like, or am I really lucky?
I emailed National Geographic Television about a week ago and passed along my resume just in case they might need an intern, but figured that it was too late and that I had probably missed my chance. After a few days passed and nothing happened I thought they might not end up responding, but two days ago I got an email asking for an interview! I was very excited, and called for the interview later that day. Again, I figured that my chances were very slim, but the interview felt really good so I started to feel a little optimistic, especially when they offered me another interview for the next day (yesterday). The interview yesterday went well too, and it started to seem like I might really get it but I wasn't sure and didn't really want to let myself get my hopes up too much. It just seemed too good, like one of those things that you put on a pedestal as the best of the best and assume is almost certainly unattainable.
Last night after the interview I was writing two papers with a bunch of other students, one about wildlife management and water resources and the other about my directed research topic, and I decided to take a break and check my email. I saw the word "Congratulations" in the subject of an email and nearly fell out of my chair. I will be working on a National Geographic natural history series titled "Untamed Americas." Just the title sounds amazing! I can't wait!!!!
Today was great, even though needless to say I was too excited to sleep last night and ended up sleeping for about 1 1/2 hours. We had a non-program day, and I finished my papers and then we all went to Mto wa Mbu and watched a painting demonstration, learned about banana brew beer, (kind of gross) and all went to a nice bar to relax. My favorite part of the visit was that I've now gone to the village a few times to do research, so I am beginning to know many of the people in the area and we sat and talked to some of the painters for a long time and traded english and swahili lessons.
It would have been a great day no matter what we did. I am already excited (and a little nervous!) to start work, and I am still in Tanzania and loving what I'm doing here. I have said it before but I just have to say it again: Life is GOOD.
Why is your life so awesome?
ReplyDelete