Sunday, February 6, 2011

"Wait-a-bit!"

The last two days have gone by fast. Although it’s only the first week, I feel like I have learned so much already, and I also feel like the time that I have here will go ridiculously fast. I am sure that a month and a half from now, I will be looking back at this post and wishing I could go back to relive everything. I guess that just shows how great each day is!

On Thursday we spent all day in classes. After so many expeditions, it was comparatively uneventful, but still included a baboon raiding the trash outside our door at lunchtime. It’s our large, muscular equivalent of the raccoon, I think.

On classes: they are great. We had one lecture that, if I’m not mistaken, lasted three hours, but it was so interesting that I didn’t mind! I usually have such a short attention span that after about an hour I start looking at the clouds outside the window, but this stuff is just so new and fascinating. We learned all about many different species of animals that can be found in this area, and their different characteristics. My homework is to look through the African Mammals field guide and identify the animals we’ve learned about so far. I love my life.

Yesterday we spent much of the afternoon (oh hey, the baboon just sauntered past my window…) hiking up a big hill called Losoito and learning about the geology of the area as we overlooked miles of grasslands. So cool. Talk about learning things in the field. Unfortunately, part of hiking in Kenya is that some part of your skin will inevitably be punctured by a “wait-a-bit” thorn bush, which has thorns that point backwards and catch you as you walk by. I was lucky enough to escape with only a very small hole in my thumb. If the view at the top of the hill didn’t make it worth it, (obviously it did,) seeing a herd of running zebras on the drive back certainly did.

What else… more soccer and Frisbee… I return each time with my skin at least a few shades darker, not because of the sun but because of the caked dirt covering my legs… last night we had another bonfire and today we went to a Fundamentalist Christian church service. The music at the service was amazing!!! There was a guy with a synthesizer who made awesome dance beats to all of the songs and everyone danced for about half of the three hour service. We sang “Amazing Grace” as our contribution, but realized that we were a little subdued compared to their wild dancing performances. Next time.

We’re on our one day off today. This afternoon we have a choice between going to a local bar together or playing soccer with the high school. I’m voting for soccer, but am anticipating a harsh loss on our side! 


Random baboon photos from a morning nature walk:



Please look at my hands. I am a proper gentleman. 

Pensive baboon.





No comments:

Post a Comment