I am such a 5 year old. Thursday was a non-program day, and Abby, Chris, Theo and I got a bunch of materials together and made a kite. It brought me back to my childhood, when I would always make paper airplanes and rockets and do fun experiments like this with my Dad. A few days ago we discovered a huge hill near Theo’s house, so we decided that it would be a perfect place for a kite and since Theo and Chris had never flown one it seemed like a fun project to do. We got big black plastic bags, duct tape, embroidery floss, and my bandana for the tail, and carved sticks for the frame. It ended up looking really good, but we realized when we stepped back outside that the wind had died down and the kite wouldn’t fly. At least that’s what I blame it on. We ran back and forth down the dirt path near Theo’s house trying to get it to fly, to no avail. I only realized afterwards that his mother and sister were watching and laughing from his yard. Silly mzungus.
 |
| Well, at least it looked nice! |
 |
| Try # 103. |
Although the result wasn't exactly a success, it was fun making the kite, and we made up for the failure by hanging out on the hill and having a picnic, and then going on a nice walk to see elephants in the agricultural fields on the edge of Ngorongoro Conservation Area. We didn’t end up seeing animals either, but it was a beautiful place to visit! Basically, all our plans kind of failed but we had a great day anyways. Now I’m off to write some more of my research paper! Graph time…
 |
| Some kids we met along the way showing off their incredible hand-walking skills! |
 |
| The farmland where elephants sometimes come. |
No comments:
Post a Comment