Thursday, March 17, 2011

The scariest thing this semester


March 11th was a very difficult day for me. Most of the day was spent in our campsite in classes and guest lectures, but at one point I overheard our Student Affairs Manager, Molly, telling one of the students from Japan that she’d just received news about a huge earthquake that had hit the country. I ran over to hear what details she could pull up on her phone, and tried to stay calm as she read them to us, but burst out crying when I heard how severe the earthquake had been and how much damage it had caused. Molly hadn’t known that I had a sister in Japan, and immediately offered her phone to me to call home.
I jumped into the bed of one of the land rovers and tried to calm myself down. When I called my Dad, I got his voicemail and left a message. I immediately called my Mom, who was shocked to hear the news (it was daytime in Kenya, but the middle of the night in the US) and equally scared. Luckily, Bee had written us an email saying that she was ok, and my Mom was able to read it to me over the phone. I was so happy to hear it that I burst out crying again. It is terrifying to know that someone you care about that much, in this case the most important person in my life, is in danger and that there is nothing you can do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment